scsi termination for scanners

I have a Umax VistaScan S6E that has 25 pin, 50 pin Centronics and an apple connection. I am using a 2902E Adaptec scsi pci card (external connection only). When I boot up and load the sys driver it syas that there is no termination. The card has the three terminators on it. The card has 25 pin connection. I did have this device connected to and Adaptec 2940 card on another computer that had internal hard drives and cd connected. This situation worked fine. I couldn't get this to work on the 2902e card so I put in a 1520 card 50 pin mini and the cable I was using on the other pc that did work and I still could not get it to work. Win98se found the card(s) and the scanner in both cases but the scanner software says link failed. Why would Win98se find the stuff but still not have a link? Is there something I need to do to the cable to terminate it? I am lost.