Re: Debian Lists, USENET & Spam

on Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 01:43:46AM -0500, Alec (alec1976nyc@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Hi
>
> Debian mailing lists are mirrored on (interfaced to) USENET under
> linux.debian.*, and our email addresses aren't even scrambled! USENET is
> probably the number one source for the email address snooping spammers. Can
> they catch up with all of us one day?

Deal with it.

I've got a six year old email address that's posted daily to websites,
mailing lists, and Usenet groups.  I get spam -- about ten messages a
day (up about fourfold over the past year) -- out of several hundred
mails received either directly or via lists.  I filter it with procmail,
none of it actually hits my inbox.  There are a number of systems which
will perform an equivalent function either locally (razor, mailfilter,
etc.), or as a service (Spamcop).

Yahoo has some rudimentary filtering.  My suggestion would be to get
more control over your email or use a subscription service (e.g.:
Spamcop) if you really care about this issue.

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org