Re: Debian Lists, USENET & Spam

on Sun, 06 Jan 2002 03:27:32PM +0100, marTin insinuated:
> apt-get in potato can't handle multiple distributions.

that would explain it.

> first of all, you'd need entries for potato and sid in
> /etc/apt/sources.list (which i don't think you have since *i* didn't
> put them there),

right, well, i do now, since *i* did.  :-P  gotta learn somehow, yo.

> and second, spamassassin is also in testing and you should really
> prefer that IMHO unless you want to keep yourself busy with
> bugreports (this is not to say that spamassassin is particularly
> bad, it's just a general statement about unstable...).

sure, i'd confused the two (testing & unstable).  yes, i'd prefer the
one off woody.

> so if you really want to install it,

yes, i do; that's why i wrote to the list.

> then comment your potato/stable entries in /etc/apt/sources.list and
> provide similar ones for woody/testing, do the apt-get install, and
> then revert to stable in sources.list.

seems like it should work.  so i replace the lines, apt-get update,
and then it tries instead to delete half my packages:

orange:~# apt-get install spamassassin
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  binutils cdrdao cpp cpp-2.95 debconf dialog dpkg esound esound-common
  file-rc g++ g++-2.95 gcc gcc-2.95 hermes1 libart2 libbonobo2 libc6 libc6-dev
  libdb2 libdb2-util libdb3 libdps1 libefs1 libesd0 libfreetype6 libgcc1
  libgnorbagtk0 libgtk1.2-common libmail-audit-perl libmailtools-perl
  libncurses5 libpopt0 libstdc++2.10-dev libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 locales
  mailtools perl perl-5.004 perl-5.004-base perl-5.005 perl-5.005-base
  perl-base perl-modules sysvinit whiptail xfree86-common xserver-common
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  alsaplayer gfontview gftp gimp1.1 gimp1.1-nonfree gnome-bin gnome-print
  gnucash gnumeric libgimp1.1.17 libglade-gnome0 libglade0 libgnome32
  libgnomesupport0 libgnomeui32 libgnorba27 libgtk1.2 libgtk1.2-dev libgtkmm
  libgtkxmhtml1 wmakerconf xchat xcontrib xmms xscreensaver
  cpp-2.95 g++-2.95 gcc-2.95 hermes1 libbonobo2 libdb3 libdps1 libefs1
  libfreetype6 libgcc1 libgtk1.2-common libmail-audit-perl libmailtools-perl
  libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 perl perl-modules spamassassin
32 packages upgraded, 17 newly installed, 25 to remove and 371 not upgraded.
Need to get 20.6MB of archives. After unpacking 41.6MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

do i really need to install cdrdao (which i already have) and all the above
packages to do this?  the only dependencies should be

 perl (>= 5.6.0-16)
 perl-modules
 libmail-audit-perl
 libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4)
 libdb3 (>= 3.2.9-1)
 libgdbmg1
 dpkg (>= 1.8.1)

and why should it try to REMOVE gmp, gnucash, wmakerconf, xmms, xscreensaver,
and all those??  not wanting to trash all those and have to re-install them, i
hit 'no'.

next method:

> alternatively you could have deb-src lines from testing and apt-get
> source spamassassin and then dpkg-buildpackage the thing.

my deb-src lines already are from testing, for some reason.  hm.
well, ignoring the fact that i have no idea how to dpkg-buildpackage
the thing once i get it (and i have been rtfming, to no avail),
apt-get sourcing does the following:

orange:~# apt-get source spamassassin
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://security.debian.org testing/updates/main Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/security.debian.org_debian-security_dists_testing_updates_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://security.debian.org testing/updates/contrib Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/security.debian.org_debian-security_dists_testing_updates_contrib_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://security.debian.org testing/updates/non-f Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/security.debian.org_debian-security_dists_testing_updates_non-f_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://security.debian.org testing/updates/main Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_testing_updates_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://security.debian.org testing/updates/non-free Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_testing_updates_non-free_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://security.debian.org testing/updates/contrib Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_testing_updates_contrib_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://debian.madduck.net testing/main Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/debian.madduck.net_debian_dists_testing_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://debian.madduck.net testing/main Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/debian.madduck.net_debian-non-US_dists_testing_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://people.debian.org woody/main Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/people.debian.org_%7ebunk_debian_dists_woody_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
E: Could not open file /var/state/apt/lists/non-us.debian.org_debian-non-US_dists_testing_non-US_non-f_source_Sources - open (2 No such file or directory)

my sources.list has the following in it:

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security testing/updates main contrib non-f
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org testing/updates main non-free contrib

deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

deb http://debian.madduck.net/debian testing main
deb http://debian.madduck.net/debian-non-US testing main

deb http://people.debian.org/~bunk/debian woody main

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

deb-src ftp://ftp.digex.net/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-f

deb-src http://people.debian.org/~bunk/debian woody main
deb-src http://people.debian.org/~bunk/debian testing main

i should be able to get spamassassin and the dependencies without having to
upgrade to woody, right?  i might just bite the bullet and upgrade kernels ...
if i could figure out how to do *that*.  been searching archives and looking
for howtos, and maybe i just suck at locating the fm to r, but i'm clueless
here, on both counts ...

tia, and sorry for all these questions, which i'm sure have been answered at
least a billion times before, but the answeres to which i just can't find,

</nori>

-------------------------http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori/jnl/daily.html