Re: Debian Lists, USENET & Spam

also sprach nori heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> [2002.01.07.2205 +0100]:
> > so if you really want to install it,
>
> yes, i do; that's why i wrote to the list.

you have an irrefutable point, turkey!

> > then comment your potato/stable entries in /etc/apt/sources.list and
> > provide similar ones for woody/testing, do the apt-get install, and
> > then revert to stable in sources.list.
>
> seems like it should work.  so i replace the lines, apt-get update,
> and then it tries instead to delete half my packages:

that's the problem with apt in potato, it can't pin. do you still have
that debian.madduck.net line in /etc/apt/source.list? i could offer a
kernel update and the package compiled and ready for potato...

> and why should it try to REMOVE gmp, gnucash, wmakerconf, xmms,
> xscreensaver, and all those??  not wanting to trash all those and have
> to re-install them, i hit 'no'.

you are doing apt-get upgrade and it tries to upgrade to woody. if you
want to do that, do apt-get -u dist-upgrade, but if you don't, remove
the testing lines from sources.list again and do an apt-get update.

> > alternatively you could have deb-src lines from testing and apt-get
> > source spamassassin and then dpkg-buildpackage the thing.
>
> my deb-src lines already are from testing, for some reason.  hm.

*i* put them there. the only times *i* use deb-src is for getting stuff
from the next higher release to be compiled for potato's libc.

> well, ignoring the fact that i have no idea how to dpkg-buildpackage

get the source, cd into the dir, do

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

and sit back. if you have all -dev dependencies met (which you probably
have since spamassassin is arch-independent and i think i left the
dpkg-dev stuff on your machine), it'll just do some magic and leave you
with a *.deb in ..

> apt-get sourcing does the following:
>
> orange:~# apt-get source spamassassin
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://security.debian.org testing/updates/main Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/security.debian.org_debian-security_dists_testing_updates_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://security.debian.org testing/updates/contrib Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/security.debian.org_debian-security_dists_testing_updates_contrib_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://security.debian.org testing/updates/non-f Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/security.debian.org_debian-security_dists_testing_updates_non-f_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://security.debian.org testing/updates/main Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_testing_updates_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://security.debian.org testing/updates/non-free Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_testing_updates_non-free_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://security.debian.org testing/updates/contrib Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/security.debian.org_dists_testing_updates_contrib_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://debian.madduck.net testing/main Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/debian.madduck.net_debian_dists_testing_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://debian.madduck.net testing/main Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/debian.madduck.net_debian-non-US_dists_testing_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> W: Couldn't stat source package list 'http://people.debian.org woody/main Packages' (/var/state/apt/lists/people.debian.org_%7ebunk_debian_dists_woody_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
> E: Could not open file /var/state/apt/lists/non-us.debian.org_debian-non-US_dists_testing_non-US_non-f_source_Sources - open (2 No such file or directory)

well, did you apt-get update all the way through?

> my sources.list has the following in it:
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security testing/updates main contrib non-f
> deb http://security.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org testing/updates main non-free contrib

security.debian.org has no testing entries. make that stable. afaik...

> deb http://debian.madduck.net/debian testing main
> deb http://debian.madduck.net/debian-non-US testing main

very good :)

> deb http://people.debian.org/~bunk/debian woody main

adrian doesn't have woody there either (yet). make that potato.

> deb-src http://people.debian.org/~bunk/debian woody main
> deb-src http://people.debian.org/~bunk/debian testing main

and i think you can safely remove those two...

> i should be able to get spamassassin and the dependencies without
> having to upgrade to woody, right?  i might just bite the bullet and
> upgrade kernels ...

kernels? why kernels? releases... the kernel is *absoultely*
independent. the kernel is Linux, the rest is Debian. woody is Debian
and can be run with any kernel, 1.x, 2.0, 2.2, and 2.4...

> if i could figure out how to do *that*.  been searching archives and
> looking for howtos, and maybe i just suck at locating the fm to r, but
> i'm clueless here, on both counts ...

i'll show you how if and only if you are going to become a responsible
debian maintainer!

> tia, and sorry for all these questions, which i'm sure have been
> answered at least a billion times before, but the answeres to which i
> just can't find,

oh well, life on debian-user is sometimes, uhm, repetetive. that's the
way it goes.

scintillation is not always identification for an auric substance.