Re: emergency shutdown?

At 11:49 AM 1/3/02 +0000, Simon R Tod wrote
If I just type 'rescue' at the boot prompt I get the slightly different
error message 'Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00', so
this doesn't provide me with the chance to run fdisk, or anything else.
But, I know that I've only got hda1 thru' 4 and I've tried all of them -
thou' I know hda3 is Windows and hda4 is /home

I think I messed up on my last reply. This may be looking for the root fs on the floppy rather than on the hard drive. I'm not sure what the various device numbers are, but in the first case it was 03:01 which I think would be the first partition on the hard drive and the floppy might be 01:00. I think Tom's will fix that for you, because it has a file system on the floppy too. I think your rescue floppy doesn't have one and you have to make another floppy with root on it.

Anita