Re: emergency shutdown?

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 11:49:41AM +0000, Simon R Tod wrote:
| If I just type 'rescue' at the boot prompt I get the slightly different
| error message 'Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00', so
| this doesn't provide me with the chance to run fdisk, or anything else.

Can you boot to the installer?  Get both rescue.bin and root.bin or a
cd.  When the installer's welcome screen appears switch to vt 2 and
you'll have a root console.  From there you can run e2fsck (I hope,
you can certainly run 'fdisk' and 'mount').

HTH,
-D

--

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to
look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from