Re: Threading Mail

John Hasler wrote:

> erik writes:
> > email storage - where the email is stored. traditionaly this is just
> > files, mostly mbox or maildir. that's what is replaced by IMAP. that way
> > you have no email in /var/spool/mail/username or ~/mbox or wherever your
> > email currently is, the email is stored by IMAP (you don't care where)
>
> But I care very much where.  In particular, I care very much that my mail
> _not_ remain on my ISP's server any longer than necessary.  Trouble is,
> that's where it would have to remain in order for IMAP to do me any good.

  I have IMAP on my local computer. of course, it is a lot more useful
since I have dsl (IMAP over SSL from anywhere (here there's internet)).
but even if I only had dial-up it would make sense, if nothing else to
make it easier to try different email clients.

  and the 'you do not care where' was meant from the position of email
client, I am pretty sure that you personally care, the point is that
it's independent (in some cases, if there is administrator on site, you
might actually not care).

  where the email actually is depends on IMAP server and your settings -
cyrus stores it in completely inaccessible area, uw-imap considers
everytyhing in ~ to be email (that's kinda funny), luckily you can limit
it to e.g. ~/mail (using client settings, or uw-imap compile time
settings) etc.

	erik