Re: Threading Mail

martin f krafft <madduck@madduck.net> writes:

> also sprach Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com> [2001.12.27.0037 +0100]:
> > > as a devoted pine user for years, and eudora for more before that, i
> > > concur that mutt rocks.  and you *can* (as martin points out) compose
> > > and read at the same time, all of which stay happily-synchonized with
> > > '$' if need be.
> >
> > That requires a whole lot more effort than I'd like, though.  For
> > example, suppose I'm replying to a thread, but some of the previous
> > postings have been snipped and I want to check the parent of the
> > thread.  In order to do this in mutt, I'd have to open a new term and
> > launch mutt, go to the correct mailbox, search through all the mail I've
> > already read (can't sync with $ if I've already started composing), find
> > the correct thread, and finally read the parent post.
>
> also a valid point.
>
> > However, in an environment with multiple buffers (aka emacs), I can
> > seamlessly switch to the index buffer and immediately read the parent of
> > the thread, and then jump right back to the compose buffer.
>
> well, you are doing every MUA and everything else unfair justice by
> comparing it to the emacs operating system ;^>
>
> (noooooo, this isn't flame-bait!)
>
> > I don't dislike mutt.  It's ok, and it gets the job done.  I just
> > don't think it's the holy grail of email readers, as many seem to
> > believe.  I can't help but think it's overrated.
>
> true. and if you tell me that gnus (it was gnus that you use, right)
> can do
>
>   - proper list management, incl. follow-up-to and others
>   - macros and keybinding
>   - hooks
>   - ldap integration
>   - gpg integration
>   - maildirs
>   - colors and control thereof
>   - proper locking and the ability to read the same mailbox locally
>     and over an ssh connection (e.g. pine can't do that)
>   - lots of random configuration options to please the playful
>   - full control over the headers sent
>
> then i'd love to give gnus a serious look...

I'm not sure what you mean by that ssh one, but gnus does do the
others.  It does have some drawbacks though, such as:

- configuration requires elisp hacking, is rather awkward and confusing,
  and takes a long time to get right
- no vi(m), unless viper-mode is adequate
- no multitasking (the emacs session is useless while checking
  mail/news)
- it likes to render HTML mail with w3 by default, which looks
  awful and is sloooooooow
- occasionally locks up emacs for me

It's not perfect, but it usually does what I want.  There are tons of
neat little built-in functions.  For example, if some turd doesn't wrap
their lines, just type "W w" and it's fixed.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>
BigNachos@jabber.org