Re: Threading Mail

also sprach Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com> [2001.12.27.0037 +0100]:
> > as a devoted pine user for years, and eudora for more before that, i
> > concur that mutt rocks.  and you *can* (as martin points out) compose
> > and read at the same time, all of which stay happily-synchonized with
> > '$' if need be.
>
> That requires a whole lot more effort than I'd like, though.  For
> example, suppose I'm replying to a thread, but some of the previous
> postings have been snipped and I want to check the parent of the
> thread.  In order to do this in mutt, I'd have to open a new term and
> launch mutt, go to the correct mailbox, search through all the mail I've
> already read (can't sync with $ if I've already started composing), find
> the correct thread, and finally read the parent post.

also a valid point.

> However, in an environment with multiple buffers (aka emacs), I can
> seamlessly switch to the index buffer and immediately read the parent of
> the thread, and then jump right back to the compose buffer.

well, you are doing every MUA and everything else unfair justice by
comparing it to the emacs operating system ;^>

(noooooo, this isn't flame-bait!)

> I don't dislike mutt.  It's ok, and it gets the job done.  I just
> don't think it's the holy grail of email readers, as many seem to
> believe.  I can't help but think it's overrated.

true. and if you tell me that gnus (it was gnus that you use, right)
can do

  - proper list management, incl. follow-up-to and others
  - macros and keybinding
  - hooks
  - ldap integration
  - gpg integration
  - maildirs
  - colors and control thereof
  - proper locking and the ability to read the same mailbox locally
    and over an ssh connection (e.g. pine can't do that)
  - lots of random configuration options to please the playful
  - full control over the headers sent

then i'd love to give gnus a serious look...

ps: mr. bignachos, you do know that your domain has troubles, right?

fishbowl:~/etc/mutt> host -t mx bignachos.com
bignachos.com           MX      10 h00a0cc56d269.ne.mediaone.net
bignachos.com           MX      20 .
 !!! bignachos.com MX host . has illegal name

use '@' instead of the '.' to refer to bignachos.com itself. now you
are making the root servers be your MX.

you do have four messages waiting in my postfix queue...

embryo postfix/smtp[1774]: warning: malformed domain name in
  resource data of MX record for bignachos.com:
embryo postfix/smtp[1774]: D81AA116EB: to=<nelson@bignachos.com>,
  relay=none, delay=2, status=deferred (bignachos.com:
  Malformed name server reply)

embryo:~# mailq
-Queue ID- --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient-------
E2D6511722     2829 Mon Dec 24 17:36:38  madduck@madduck.net
                                  (bignachos.com: Malformed name server reply)
                                         nelson@bignachos.com

D81AA116EB     2742 Mon Dec 24 14:55:24  madduck@madduck.net

8551711723     2495 Mon Dec 24 18:08:17  madduck@madduck.net

22C2B11724     2305 Mon Dec 24 18:10:25  madduck@madduck.net
                                  (bignachos.com: Malformed name server reply)
                                         nelson@bignachos.com

-- 10 Kbytes in 4 Requests.

cheers,

* michaelw does the buildd shuffle