Re: I give up. I need help!!

Hi John!

Long posting ...

    John> Dear Sir, I have tried and tried, did I say I tried, to get
    John> Debian 2.1 installed and configured with Gnome on just one
    John> machine at home.  I find this to be a most impossible task.

OK, forget 2.1; 2.2r4 is the actual stable release with "woody" 3.0
coming "soon".

So stick with stable or get testing/woody/3.0 right now.

    John> 	I know that I will be coming across as a smart-ass
    John> cynic, but I have played by the rules here.  I have done
    John> everything I can think of outside of sending this e-mail.  I
    John> give up.  Please help.

Calm down, no problem all the smart asses had a bad time, too.

    John> 	I am a mechanical engineer by trade, and a hobbyist in
    John> electronics and computers.  I like the Linux philosophy and
    John> the Debian philosophy.  I would even like to contribute in
    John> the future to support Debian and Linux.  The problem I have
    John> is contributing to what if I can't get installed what the
    John> two books I have purchased tell me I can.

    John> 	The two books I am speaking of are: (both books use
    John> release 2.1)

    John> 		Debian GNU/Linux 2.1 Unleashed by Sams
    John> publishing

    John> 		Debian GNU/Linux for Dummies.

Not really up to date, have a look at our web site.

You may check out as well Osamu Aoki's Debian Quick Reference:
http://qref.sourceforge.net/quick/

XCONFIG issues and the like are not debian specific, so try a google
search on hardware related questions.

    John> 	Admittedly, I was able to get Xwindows configured with
    John> the Dummies book.  But, attempting to add Gnome, by the
    John> book, only locked up my computer and left me to a reinstall
    John> as my only recourse.  I was unable to even log in to do any
    John> kind of recovery.

Install a recent debian version (net ... as said above) Get all the X
related packages and all the gnome stuff too.
Configure X ...
Then create a file
/home/user/.xsession and put only
exec gnome-session
 there and you are done with gnome.
Executing startx will let you enter the gnome world.

    John> 	I never asked for this experience to be easy, and I do
    John> like to learn new things, but I really feel that this might
    John> be going a little too far.

It could be always worse - and it will ;-)

    John> 	I am 37 years old, and my entire computing experience
    John> now revolves around graphics.  I use Pro-Engineer for my 3-D
    John> design work on the job.  The computers I use all have a
    John> slick GUI versus an old command line interface.  I am
    John> dependent on a GUI.
Fine that's quite in the mood of recent postings here, always very interesting.

    John> 	I don't believe the package manager is loading
    John> "Enlightenment" for Gnome.  I went back through the
    John> "dselect" routine and enlightenment had not been installed.

Thats not the role of dselect. It installs the packages (and debconf
does some configuring) but you have to tune it.

You have to tell gnome what windowmanager you want.

    John> I selected it and installed it.  Oops, I now have to
    John> reconfigure a, was working, Xwindows.  Go figure, xf86config
    John> won't configure Xwindows now, not into anything that works.

    John> 	This is what I have:

    John> 1) A mid-tower case.  2) An FIC PA2005 motherboard, with the
    John> latest BIOS.  3) Intel 166MMX CPU 4) 64 Meg of 72 pin EDO
    John> RAM 5) SiS 6326 4 Meg video card.  6) Sound Blaster PCI 512
    John> Sound Card 7) Sony Vivitron 15 monitor.  31.5-64kHz vertical
    John> 50-120Hz Horizontal 8) Hard drive 1 = 10 gig Western
    John> Digital.  Partitioned as follows:

So you have all the information you need

    John> 					a.)  Win 98SE 2925 meg
    John> b.)  Linux Swap 1025 meg c.)  Linux Root 150 meg d.)  Linux
    John> Usr 3000 meg e.)  Linux Var 2300 meg f.)  Linux Tmp 500 meg

    John> 1) Hard drive 2 = 30 gig Western Digital.  Partitioned as
    John> follows:

    John> 						a.)  Win 98SE
    John> file storage 11502 meg b.)  Linux Swap 2048 meg c.)  Win
    John> 98SE for dedicated swap 2048 meg d.)  Linux Home 14402 meg

wow! How many users?

    John> 1) PS/2 mouse 2) 101 key keyboard

    John> 	The what I want list:

    John> 		1.)  Stability.  2.)  A user friendly load and
    John> configure routine.  3.)  Something I can record my LP's onto
    John> and make CD's from.  4.)  Something I can design my personal
    John> electronics projects with.  5.)  And, be able to run "Star
    John> Office".

Star Office is not everyone's choice but that's up to you ...

    John> 	Stability is paramount in this.  I don't like to loose
    John> my hard work any more than the next guy does.  I am also so
    John> sick of the Windose "Blue screen of death".  I am trying the
    John> dual boot for now, but I eventually want purge Windose from
    John> my home, can we say "Forget the upgrade".

    John> 	User friendly load and configure.  Do you guys really
    John> like to work this hard?  I understand that knowledge and
    John> experience play a role in how well and easily things happen,
    John> but even this seems a little far-fetched.

No it isn't that hard ... Fetch a recent version ... Ceterum censeo, Cartaginem esse
delendam

    John> 	All work and no play make Johnny a dull boy.  The last
    John> three on the list are for my own playtime.  I know that it
    John> is unlikely that Debian will have every little package I
    John> need to handle numbers 3 & 4, but the alias package should
    John> cover those.

alien?

Anyway we are at 8699 packages in unstable, so you most probably find
what you need.

    John> John Klaus

    John> jklaus@hunterfan.com

PD You may ask your questions one by one describing your
problems more in detail. Probably you'll get short and concise answers
that way and welcome in the DEBIAN World!

--
(Dr.) Michael Hummel
mailto: mh@seitung.net || molino@gmx.net