Re: I give up. I need help!!

High,

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Klaus, John wrote:

> Dear Sir,
>
> 	I have tried and tried, did I say I tried, to get Debian 2.1
> installed and configured
> with Gnome on just one machine at home.  I find this to be a most impossible
> task.

Why do you not use Debian 2.2? Perhaps this will sovle a lot of problems.

> 	Admittedly, I was able to get Xwindows configured with the Dummies
> book.  But,
> attempting to add Gnome, by the book, only locked up my computer and left me
> to a reinstall
> as my only recourse.  I was unable to even log in to do any kind of
> recovery.
So you have been able to boot up X and log in with a simple window manager
like twm or fvwm95? First make sure this works, then go further.

> If I can't get Gnome up and running with Debian, I will have to settle on
> another version of
> Linux.  I hate to settle.  I want the most stable version of OS I can get my
Do you really have to use Gnome? Not that it is bad, but you seem very
fixated on this. From where do you have the gnome packages? As far as I
know, the Gnome desktop is still not a part of the official Debian
distribution, partly because it was quite unstable.

> 	This is what I have:
>
> 1)	A mid-tower case.
> 2)	An FIC PA2005 motherboard, with the latest BIOS.
> 3)	Intel 166MMX CPU
> 4)	64 Meg of 72 pin EDO RAM
> 5)	SiS 6326   4 Meg video card.

Beleive me, you push your computer to the limits when using a heavy
desktop like Gnome (or KDE). I advise a lighter window manager.

> 6)	Sound Blaster PCI 512 Sound Card
> 7)	Sony Vivitron 15 monitor.  31.5-64kHz vertical   50-120Hz Horizontal
>
> 	The what I want list:
>
> 		1.)  Stability.
Debian 2.2r4 is pretty stable

> 		2.)  A user friendly load and configure routine.
apt and dpkg
> 		3.)  Something I can record my LP's onto and make CD's from.
Will work, although I have not done it myself.

> 		4.)  Something I can design my personal electronics projects
> with.
> 		5.)  And, be able to run "Star Office".

Works fine, but version 5.2 is very slow.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan