Re: I give up. I need help!!

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 12:42:33PM -0600, Klaus, John wrote:
[lots of stuff, mentions GNOME and Star Office]

| 	This is what I have:

| 3)	Intel 166MMX CPU
| 4)	64 Meg of 72 pin EDO RAM

This is enough memory, but the CPU might be a bit weak.  I used to run
GNOME 1.0.<several versions>, then 1.2.<something> on a PII 300 with
64MB RAM.  I had no complaints with it.  BTW Star Office is a hog
(need lots of memory and cpu) and I hate the user interface.  You're
better off with LaTeX, if you have the will to learn it.

| 5)	SiS 6326   4 Meg video card.

This video card works fine.  I have it.  It is not high-end, but
functional.  I found it easiest to recompile the kernel with VESA
framebuffer support and use it that way.  Easier than configuring X
and, with this card, not much performance degradation.

-D

--

Pleasant words are a honeycomb,
sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.