I give up. I need help!!

Dear Sir,

	I have tried and tried, did I say I tried, to get Debian 2.1
installed and configured
with Gnome on just one machine at home.  I find this to be a most impossible
task.

	I know that I will be coming across as a smart-ass cynic, but I have
played by the
rules here.  I have done everything I can think of outside of sending this
e-mail.  I give up.
Please help.

	I am a mechanical engineer by trade, and a hobbyist in electronics
and computers.
I like the Linux philosophy and the Debian philosophy.  I would even like to
contribute in
the future to support Debian and Linux.  The problem I have is contributing
to what if I
can't get installed what the two books I have purchased tell me I can.

	The two books I am speaking of are:  (both books use release 2.1)

		Debian GNU/Linux 2.1 Unleashed  by Sams publishing

		Debian GNU/Linux for Dummies.

	Admittedly, I was able to get Xwindows configured with the Dummies
book.  But,
attempting to add Gnome, by the book, only locked up my computer and left me
to a reinstall
as my only recourse.  I was unable to even log in to do any kind of
recovery.

	I never asked for this experience to be easy, and I do like to learn
new things, but I
really feel that this might be going a little too far.

	I am 37 years old, and my entire computing experience now revolves
around graphics.
I use Pro-Engineer for my 3-D design work on the job.  The computers I use
all have a slick GUI
versus an old command line interface.  I am dependent on a GUI.

	Don't even think about the kids, any of the four.  "Dad, the
computer is goofed again.  It
has a blinking white dot on a black background."  I could make the mental
shift with enough time
as I have been around computers long enough to use DOS and Unix with and
without Xwindows.
But, I really don't see the point in doing it that way now.  I can pull up a
command prompt as well
as the next guy and still have a cool graphic on the background.

If I can't get Gnome up and running with Debian, I will have to settle on
another version of
Linux.  I hate to settle.  I want the most stable version of OS I can get my
hands on.  You
guys claim to have it and give it away too.  Just twist my arm a little
harder.

	I am going to go through the rest of this using the Dummies version
as I have had the best luck
with it.  This is all based on my research and not giving up, yet.

	I don't believe the package manager is loading "Enlightenment" for
Gnome.  I went back through
the "dselect" routine and enlightenment had not been installed.  I selected
it and installed it.  Oops, I now
have to reconfigure a, was working, Xwindows.  Go figure, xf86config won't
configure Xwindows now,
not into anything that works.

	This is what I have:

1)	A mid-tower case.
2)	An FIC PA2005 motherboard, with the latest BIOS.
3)	Intel 166MMX CPU
4)	64 Meg of 72 pin EDO RAM
5)	SiS 6326   4 Meg video card.
6)	Sound Blaster PCI 512 Sound Card
7)	Sony Vivitron 15 monitor.  31.5-64kHz vertical   50-120Hz Horizontal
8)	Hard drive 1 = 10 gig Western Digital.  Partitioned as follows:

					a.)  Win 98SE  2925 meg
					b.)  Linux Swap  1025 meg
					c.)  Linux Root  150 meg
					d.)  Linux Usr  3000 meg
					e.)  Linux Var  2300 meg
					f.)  Linux Tmp  500 meg

1)	Hard drive 2 = 30 gig Western Digital.  Partitioned as follows:

						a.)  Win 98SE file storage
11502 meg
						b.)  Linux Swap  2048 meg
						c.)  Win 98SE for dedicated
swap  2048 meg
						d.)  Linux Home  14402 meg

1)	PS/2 mouse
2)	101 key keyboard

	The what I want list:

		1.)  Stability.
		2.)  A user friendly load and configure routine.
		3.)  Something I can record my LP's onto and make CD's from.
		4.)  Something I can design my personal electronics projects
with.
		5.)  And, be able to run "Star Office".

	Stability is paramount in this.  I don't like to loose my hard work
any more than the next guy
does.  I am also so sick of the Windose "Blue screen of death".  I am trying
the dual boot for now,
but I eventually want purge Windose from my home, can we say "Forget the
upgrade".

	User friendly load and configure.  Do you guys really like to work
this hard?  I understand that
knowledge and experience play a role in how well and easily things happen,
but even this seems a little
far-fetched.

	All work and no play make Johnny a dull boy.  The last three on the
list are for my own playtime.
I know that it is unlikely that Debian will have every little package I need
to handle numbers 3 & 4, but
the alias package should cover those.

John Klaus

jklaus@hunterfan.com