Re: How to handle whitespace in filenames ???

Craig Dickson wrote:

> Michael D. Schleif wrote:
>
> > Craig Dickson wrote:

Which keystrokes did I miss?  I even created exactly your example
directories to prove that you *DID NOT* test this prior to posting ;>

C:\>mkdir cygwin

C:\>d:

D:\TMP>cd\

D:\>mkdir cygwin

D:\>cd\tmp

D:\TMP>c:

C:\>cd d:\cygwin

C:\>d:

D:\cygwin>cd cygwin

D:\cygwin>ver

Windows NT Version 4.0

Actually, this only goes to prove how lame the drive letter concept is!
Is this how your ``typical users'' expect windoze cli to behave?

> > > The drive letter thing is indeed quite lame, although it probably made
> > > better sense in the days of 4 kb RAM on an 8080 processor (MS-DOS
> > > inherited, or stole, that design from CP/M, which did indeed run on
> > > such limited machines).
> > >
> > > However, your example is actually wrong. "cd d:\cygwin" is a perfectly
> > > legal MS-DOS command; it sets the current working directory for drive D
> > > to \cygwin, regardless of what your current drive is.
> >
> > Haven't I already caught you trying to foist un-tested information
> > earlier in this thread?
>
> No, you haven't. I believe I've tested everything I've posted in this
> thread.
>
> > This fails on *ALL* of the following canonical installations:
> >
> >       MS-DOS v3.31
> >       windoze 3.x
> >       windoze 9x
> >       windoze nt 4
> >       windoze 2000
>
> You are either a liar, an incompetent, or an illiterate. MS-DOS and all
> versions of Windows work as I have described. Period. This is not
> debatable.
>
> Just to be absolutely clear about this, try this test on any DOS/Windows
> machine:
>
>     C:\> D:
>     D:\> C:
>     C:\> cd d:\path
>     C:\> D:
>     D:\path>

This is *NOT* the same as your original -- which, coincidentally, is
that example which I refuted, both here and in my prior post.

> Substitute for "path" the name of any top-level directory on D:. For
> that matter, substitute any two drives you like for C: and D:.
>
> Notice that in the first two lines, we establish that both C: and D:
> have their root directories as their working directories. Then in the
> third line, "cd d:\" changes the current working directory on D:. It
> doesn't set D: as your current drive, but then I never said it did. Read
> carefully and learn to follow instructions before you accuse me of
> lying, you stupid asshole.

Be careful, son, your ignorance is showing . . .

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .