Re: How to handle whitespace in filenames ???

Michael D. Schleif wrote:

> Craig Dickson wrote:
> >
> > Eric G. Miller wrote:
> >
> > > Yea, but don't you need a switch to change drives?
> > >
> > > c:\> cd d:\cygwin
> > > c:\> Does not compute...
> > > c:\> d:
> > > d:\> cd cygwin
> > > d:\cygwin>
> > >
> > > Okay, that isn't the real error message... That whole drive letter
> > > thing is way dainbramaged...
> >
> > The drive letter thing is indeed quite lame, although it probably made
> > better sense in the days of 4 kb RAM on an 8080 processor (MS-DOS
> > inherited, or stole, that design from CP/M, which did indeed run on
> > such limited machines).
> >
> > However, your example is actually wrong. "cd d:\cygwin" is a perfectly
> > legal MS-DOS command; it sets the current working directory for drive D
> > to \cygwin, regardless of what your current drive is.
>
> Haven't I already caught you trying to foist un-tested information
> earlier in this thread?

No, you haven't. I believe I've tested everything I've posted in this
thread.

> This fails on *ALL* of the following canonical installations:
>
> 	MS-DOS v3.31
> 	windoze 3.x
> 	windoze 9x
> 	windoze nt 4
> 	windoze 2000

You are either a liar, an incompetent, or an illiterate. MS-DOS and all
versions of Windows work as I have described. Period. This is not
debatable.

Just to be absolutely clear about this, try this test on any DOS/Windows
machine:

    C:\> D:
    D:\> C:
    C:\> cd d:\path
    C:\> D:
    D:\path>

Substitute for "path" the name of any top-level directory on D:. For
that matter, substitute any two drives you like for C: and D:.

Notice that in the first two lines, we establish that both C: and D:
have their root directories as their working directories. Then in the
third line, "cd d:\" changes the current working directory on D:. It
doesn't set D: as your current drive, but then I never said it did. Read
carefully and learn to follow instructions before you accuse me of
lying, you stupid asshole.

Craig