Re: Exim.conf help

dman muttered:
> | my only routing agent that isn't local sends everything to my ISP, but I
> | don't seem to be able to set up a second agent that tests for hostname
> | 'foo2'
> |
> | Anyone doing this that could send me a sample exim.conf file/section?

> Yes, that is what you want to have ... I just recently switched from a
> "smarthost" configuration to a "real internet site" configuration.
> ... In the routers section it put the following entries :
>
> # This router routes to remote hosts over SMTP using a DNS lookup with
> # default options.
>
> lookuphost:
>   driver = lookuphost
>   transport = remote_smtp
>
> # This router routes to remote hosts over SMTP by explicit IP address,
> # given as a "domain literal" in the form [nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn]. The RFCs
> # require this facility, which is why it is enabled by default in Exim.
> # If you want to lock it out, set forbid_domain_literals in the main
> # configuration section above.
>
> literal:
>   driver = ipliteral
>   transport = remote_smtp
>
> You could probably do this because it will lookup "foo2" (and
> everything else) and deliver to foo2 properly.  The tradeoff is that
> you won't be using a smarthost any more...
Dman,

Thanks very much, this is what I was thinking. The other website uses a
strategy where one Linux system does all the mail and functions as a POP
server for the other systems, it uses a single 'real' email address with
different Real Names to leverage multiple email accounts out of a single
address.

I'll keep plugging at the exim docs: I _think_ that what you've outlined
above just means that exim will field an IP address as well as an MX
domain name. My understanding (incomplete) is that I could go with one
of two strategies:

1. Define my local network (192.168.1.0/24) as a local domain. Mail for
this domain wouldn't get sent to the smarthost defined in the ROUTER
configuration, but I'd have to set up something in the DIRECTOR
configuration to send messages to local systems.

2. Set up a ROUTER agent listed above the smarthost routine that checks
the email domain name/address against a specific list of local systems
or domains. If matched, it goes to that machine. Otherwise the email
gets fielded by the smarthost routine.

But I think you're right 'real internet site's are the way to go.
Ideally, I'd like the two local systems to exchange mail automatically,
both set up the same way.

Thanks, Paul
--
Paul Mackinney       |   Who profited from Sept 11?
paul@mackinney.net   |   http://www.copvcia.com/