Re: Exim.conf help

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 10:05:57PM -0800, Paul Mackinney wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I've been reading the exim docs and looking at the examples, but I'm
| just not getting it. Here's the deal: I have two debian systems named
| foo1 and foo2. foo1 is my primary, it sends all its email to my ISP
| using exim's smarthost configuration, local mail to 'user' or to
| 'user@foo1' is handled just fine; it doesn't get sent over the internet.
|
| I'm confident I can set up foo2 the same way, what I can't seem to do is
| get them to send mail to each other. I understand that this is because
| my only routing agent that isn't local sends everything to my ISP, but I
| don't seem to be able to set up a second agent that tests for hostname
| 'foo2' (I've added this as a static entry in resolv.conf, I can ping
| foo2 by name).
|
| Anyone doing this that could send me a sample exim.conf file/section?
| I've been pounding away at the exim website, but their documentation is
| a little bit too atomic for me to comprehend. I *think* what I want is
| a router agent that tests for the name 'foo2', send the message to foo2
| if that succeeds, and turns the message over to the smarthost router
| agent otherwise.

Yes, that is what you want to have.  I'm not certain how to configure
that, but I just recently switched from a "smarthost" configuration to
a "real internet site" configuration.  (no I don't have a domain and
the machines are behind nat and/or firewall too so you can't actually
send in to it)  I did the switch by backing up my config, running
eximconfig, picking "internet site", and then seeing what it did.  In
the routers section it put the following entries :

# This router routes to remote hosts over SMTP using a DNS lookup with
# default options.

lookuphost:
  driver = lookuphost
  transport = remote_smtp

# This router routes to remote hosts over SMTP by explicit IP address,
# given as a "domain literal" in the form [nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn]. The RFCs
# require this facility, which is why it is enabled by default in Exim.
# If you want to lock it out, set forbid_domain_literals in the main
# configuration section above.

literal:
  driver = ipliteral
  transport = remote_smtp

You could probably do this because it will lookup "foo2" (and
everything else) and deliver to foo2 properly.  The tradeoff is that
you won't be using a smarthost any more (I don't know how important
that is to you).  Perhaps you can make a driver that only delivers to
"foo2", then have a router that uses that driver and everything else
uses the smarthost.

-D

--

In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have
told you.  I am going there to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and