scanner recommendations?

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a decent, low-priced scanner that works with their
debian system? In case it matters, I'm tracking sid.

I've been browsing amazon's scanners and simultaneously the SANE
compatibility lists, so I should be able to find something that works,
but I'd feel better about it if I could get a hearty recommendation from
a satisfied customer.

Among my criteria for hardware purchases is politics: I'd much prefer to
buy from a manufacturer who has cooperated with projects like SANE (or
similar open-source driver projects for printers, NICs, video cards, or
whatnot) by releasing specs and/or encouraging development in whatever
other various ways. If anyone can recommend such manufacturers (even if
you haven't successfully used a scanner from them), I'd appreciate that
as well.

Thanks,
Vineet

--
Satan laughs when      #  "I disapprove of what you say, but I will
we kill each other.    #   defend to the death your right to say it."