Re: scanner recommendations?

Well, I don't know if you have access to such a facility, but at Penn
State, there is a place called Salvage, where old (and sometimes
non-functional) equipment goes.  People may then buy this old
equipment.  I purchased three scanners from them and the last one
worked ($15 each).  It is an HP ScanJet 4c and works quite well with
Debian.  I had it installed when I ran RedHat and switching to Debian
didn't affect a thing.  Also, SANE and Gimp work just fine with it.
The only little catch was getting the permissions right, so non-root
accounts could scan.  Good luck.

Brian