Re: HELP! did something incredably stupid

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 08:16:21PM +0100, Sebastiaan wrote:
| Hello,
|
| Is there a way to retreive information about the size of an ext2
| partition?
|
| I filled the first 1024 bytes of my harddisk with zeros, because LILO did
| not want to downgrade. I realised too late that this would wipe out my
| partition table as well. I have been able to recreate a new partition
| table with only one partition and luckily my systems boots. Problem is
| that I had two partitions: first my ext2 and at the end a swap partition.
| I do not know where my (original) first partition ended.
|
| Can anybody help me out?

Hopefully you haven't done anything with your system that might write
to the disk.  Get the 'gpart' utility and stick it on a floppy, boot
with the rescue (install) disk and run it.  It worked wonders for me.
Fortunately for you you didn't have any data partitions beyond the
first partition! (I had / then swap then /home).  Then you can use
(c)fdisk from the install disk to recreate your partition table.  Then
(once you've rebooted) print out that table!

web site :
    http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/76201/gpart/
statically linked binary (no libc dependency!), stick this on the floppy :
    http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/user/76201/gpart/gpart.linux

-D

--

He who walks with the wise grows wise,