Re: scanner recommendations?

On 18 Dec 2001, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone recommend a decent, low-priced scanner that works with their
> debian system? In case it matters, I'm tracking sid.
>
> I've been browsing amazon's scanners and simultaneously the SANE
> compatibility lists, so I should be able to find something that works,
> but I'd feel better about it if I could get a hearty recommendation from
> a satisfied customer.
>
> Among my criteria for hardware purchases is politics: I'd much prefer to
> buy from a manufacturer who has cooperated with projects like SANE (or
> similar open-source driver projects for printers, NICs, video cards, or
> whatnot) by releasing specs and/or encouraging development in whatever
> other various ways. If anyone can recommend such manufacturers (even if
> you haven't successfully used a scanner from them), I'd appreciate that
> as well.
>
> Thanks,
> Vineet

I recently bought an Epson Perfection 1650 which is working perfectly
with xsane via USB (but it needs the 2.4.x series kernels). According to
Jonathan Buzzard's site Epson have been very helpful about publishing
their drivers.

Anthony Campbell

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux GNU/Debian (Windows-free zone)
For an electronic book (The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our
obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come
from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. [Carl Sagan]