2.2r4 CD not recognising Ultra100 TX2 controller

Adam, I'm sorry if my last message was a bit unfocused: a wisdom
tooth extraction had just ended up with the top spectacularly
breaking off leaving the roots in the gum. Antibiotics and painkillers
aside, maxillo-facial surgeons are a bit thin on the ground
at this time of year ...

> > > hdc might be using a different controller unsupported by the install
> > > disk? (unlikely)
...<snip>...
> > The controller is the Ultra 100TX2 by Promise Technology, Inc.,
> > http://www.promise.com
> >
> > Is there a problem with Deb install support ? (surely unlikely)
>
> Surely unlikely?!? I don't even think ATA-100 controllers even existed
> at the time the Debian install disks were created.

Hold on, 2.2r4 is the latest version and ATA-100 support has surely been
included in the kernel ... (?)

> I doubt the ReiserFS UDMA-66 install disks would even support it either.
>
> That will be the reason why the installer cannot see the controller.
>
> > > You computer many not be able to boot from the second hard disk
> > > controller? (likely)
> >
> > The Ultra100 TX2 manual has a 'Troubleshooting' section re.
> > "any difficulties with the hard drive being recognised by the card"
> > but it all seems to be within the Win/DOS tradition.
> >
> > It refers to the 'Ultra100 TX2 BIOS' but I have seen no sign of it.
> > How do I access it ?
>
> Try Google or Google Groups.

Thanks, I'll follow that one up.

> No luck there? try posting (for example) to the newsgroups
> comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage or comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
>
> You are expecting a lot of specific hardware knowledge from a general
> Debian User mailing list. If you're lucky you might hit the right
> person.

No harm in trying. The list seems to exist to solve these types
of problems.

> > The only one which makes sense to me is
> >
> > "PROBLEM: Miscellaneous problems such as the Ultra100 TX2 BIOS not
> > appearing during boot, the ULTRA100 TX2 driver not loading, or slow data
> > transfer rates.
> >
> > SOLUTION: Move the Ultra100 TX2 to a different PCI slot."

Thanks,

Adam Bogacki,
adam@bogacki.net

P.S. I'm having problems with my ISP: the number of local calls charged
for seems to have blown out by a factor of 10 and I'm fairly sure I did not
make them. What is the broadband situation like in NZ ?

AFB.