Fonts->Rectangles,Install with separate controller.

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 01:46:14AM +1300 or thereabouts, Adam Warner wrote:
 ...<snip>...
> > > Sounds like it's a file!
> > > cd /usr/share/doc/libgnomeprint-data/
> > > And there will hopefully be a file called run-gnome-font-install
> > >
> > Yep - as noted above, it exists in the file directory but I could
> > not get into it.
>
> As root? If you can't get to the file perhaps you need to run a file
> system check.

... the file exists on my system but I perhaps should have used
'cat' to have a look at it - as root - but I don't know if that
would change anything.

> > > But it doesn't exist on this computer. Anywhere.
> > >
> > > So what distribution are you running Adam (stable, testing, unstable?)
> >
> > Woody - which probably translates as 'testing'. Actually, it was Potato
> > 2.2r2 until I put a few unstable entries into /etc/apt/sources.list ...
> > >
> > > My guess is that if you are currently running testing or above an update
> > > will solve your problems. have you done a recent (as root):
> > >
> > > apt-get update
> > > apt-get dist-upgrade -u
> > >
> > I have done an 'update' on a regular basis but am wary about a
> > 'dist-upgrade' as the last time I did one I lost my X server
> > and only fixed it after much trouble.
>
> A recent update for 4.1.0 overwrote my configuration. But you should be
> OK if you now install the unstable packages. You are now asked whether
> you want dpkg to manage the config file or whether you want to manage it
> yourself. Just choose yourself.
>
> But to be sure just back up the files in /etc/X11/ first. Then if
> something is replaced like XF86Config or XF86Config-4 (if you're running
> XFree84 4.x) and you disagree with the changes then just copy your
> version back.

Any backup tips ? I wrote an M.A.(Hons) thesis on a CP/M based
MicroBee, copying everything to a separate floppy kept in a safe place.
I have, to date, not had the same need in Linux but it is an issue
I will have to get on top of ... I have a number of blank CD's I
have not started using. What is the appropriate CD burning deb ?

... & what are the relative merits of using tape ?

I'm now using XF86Config but would happily upgrade to v.4 if it could be
done painlessly.

> > I'm currently running a dual boot system with Win98 on hda (20G)
> > and Woody (10G) on hdb. I have also installed a removable 40G HD
> > on which I plan to install Potato 2.2r4 and use it as a home server.
> > My idea was to get it up as 'hdc' and then do a 'dist-upgrade' on hdb,
> > having something as a backup in case things go wrong.
> >
> > I have been through the Debian install process a few times
> > but on this occasion I find that it does not seem to be recognising
> > 'hdc'. A few screens into the process. when it asks me about
> > partitions, it assumes that I am on 'hdb'. I might be wrong, but
> > when I installed it on hdb, it seemed to automagically recognise
> > it.
> >
> hdc might be using a different controller unsupported by the install
> disk? (unlikely)

That might be a valid point. 'hdc' is on a separate controller:
at the time it was put in I had ideas of 'RAID'ing hdb and hdc
- I had read that it is a limitation of the IDE/ATAPI protocol
that simultaneous read/writes cannot be done to two different drives by
the same controller.

The controller is the Ultra 100TX2 by Promise Technology, Inc.,
http://www.promise.com

Is there a problem with Deb install support ? (surely unlikely)

> You computer many not be able to boot from the second hard disk
> controller? (likely)

The Ultra100 TX2 manual has a 'Troubleshooting' section re.
"any difficulties with the hard drive being recognised by the card"
but it all seems to be within the Win/DOS tradition.

It refers to the 'Ultra100 TX2 BIOS' but I have seen no sign of it.
How do I access it ?

The only one which makes sense to me is

"PROBLEM: Miscellaneous problems such as the Ultra100 TX2 BIOS not
appearing during boot, the ULTRA100 TX2 driver not loading, or slow data
transfer rates.

SOLUTION: Move the Ultra100 TX2 to a different PCI slot."

Hmmm ... that implies taking the box back to the computer shop and
(i.a.) asking why the supposedly 256MB RAM is only being recognised
as 128MB by the system. I don't like hassling the techies if I can't
fix it myself, but ...

> I always boot from a partition on the first hard disk. You could do this
> even if most of your files are going to be stored on hdb and backed up
> on hdc.

That seems to be the conventional way to do it; the MBR is (usually)
on hda, unless I'm wrong.

> You might want to try out one of these sets of boot disks (e.g. if you
> want to install a ReisferFS file system on your boot partition):
>
> http://www.digitaltux.com/

I've thought about that. There is someone on www.debian.org offering
a bootleg ReiserFS but I want hdc to be a very stable server.
I understand that Mandrake and RH now have it and I'm waiting for
it to be debianised. Would installing it on the boot partition
compromise anything ?

Cheers,

Adam.