Re: VMWare

Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to know if anyone in this list is using VMWare Workstation in
> order to run flavours of Windows with Debian GNU Linux as the host machine.

I am.  Started with vmware 3.0-beta and yesterday switched to 3.0.0
(30-days evaluation).  I've run win2Kpro quite regular, and installed
winXPpro just to try.  Both seems to work fine.
  Some days ago I installed the intel port of Solaris8 and it seems to
work too, but since there's no vmtools for solaris the graphic is quite
useless.  Telnet and exporting display works, so you can run graphic
applications anyway.

What I've noticed is that sometimes the system (entire linux system)
hangs when switching from fullscreen to windowed mode.  I don't know if
this is vmware's fault or the X server (or something else), as I might
not run the very standard system.  (dual monitor, onboard i810e chip as
primary screen with windowmaker, pci ati rage as secondary using sawfish
and dfm.)

Of course, when you run linux on your primary screen, two vmwares with
win2k and solaris8 on your secondary screen, it tends to be a little
slow on a celeron 533;-)

// Emil