Re: Newbie comments & queries

* Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> spake thus:
> > Could be I just did it wrong.  Maybe the
> > echo foo > /dev/ttyS0
> > method doesn't have any way to say back "OK".  Except for
> > lighting up the lights and making beeping noises, of course.
>
> AFAIK, it doesn't.
>
> My usual test is to run a test string into the modem which activates the
> dialer, and calls some "safe" number -- time info (767-1111 in most of
> the US).  This lets me find out if the blamed box is working or not, if
> the speaker's working and you can hear the dialtone, ring, and voice
> pickup on the far end.

Heh, I usually put my mobile's number into my connect script. Then I
could see that it worked correctly withouth bothering anyone, and I
could just reject the call so that I didn't have to pay anything
either.. (I imagine that your "safe number" is free, but I can't
remember any such number over here.)

Regards,
Stig

--