Re: Newbie comments & queries

> I was getting no reaction from the modem with a command sent as an
> echo. Neither did I succeed in either sending anything from
> minicom, what I mean is that I could not even type an AT command
> to send in minicom, nothing would appear on the screen from the
> keyboard.

Ah, maybe you have to change from half-duplex to full-duplex?
(or vice versa, I can never remember)...

I know I never had any success trying to cat (or echo) text
straight into the /dev/ttyS0 file to try to get the modems
attention.  I always had to use a program (whether minicom,
or wvdial, or some kind of ppp chat method).

Could be I just did it wrong.  Maybe the
echo foo > /dev/ttyS0
method doesn't have any way to say back "OK".  Except for
lighting up the lights and making beeping noises, of course.

--
bjb@achilles.net
Welcome to the GNU age!   http://www.gnu.org