Newbie comments & queries

Ok,

Many thanks for all the tips, plenty to look at there.  A couple
of points.

The modem is correctly on the serial port.  It just has an extra
parallel port at the back, Microcom were punting this heavily at
one stage as a superior method of connection for some reason or
another.  Reading the Modem-HOWTO I see that the primary job of a
serial port is to convert input data from the bus (parallel) to a
serial output.  Perhaps Microcom decided to do this on the modem
board itself, in which case we effectively have an internal modem
in a box outside the computer.

Right, everything is a file, even a device, and has a permission.
Never thought of that and will look at it soonest.

I was getting no reaction from the modem with a command sent as an
echo. Neither did I succeed in either sending anything from
minicom, what I mean is that I could not even type an AT command
to send in minicom, nothing would appear on the screen from the
keyboard.

Will probably connect the modem onto the W98 box to see that it
does operate and remove any nagging doubts in that direction.

Will look at the matter again soonest

Regards
Ian
   Ian Balchin
   Fables Bookshop, 119 High Street, Grahamstown, 6139, South Africa
   email  fables@imaginet.co.za
   Phone or Fax +27-(0)46-636-1525
   cell:  083-495-7353  sms 0834957353@sms.co.za
   Founder Member Southern African Book Dealers Association
   http;//www.imaginet.co.za/fables
       All of literature is a space in which a variety of writers,
    none of them original, blend and crash.
                         Roland Barthes, in `Mythologies', 1957