Re: how to disable gnome panel

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 01:23:29AM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> ...though that does suggest maybe I want to look at
> gnome-gnotes....which doesn't exist.

Bad news, gnotes is actually another applet (it's in gnome-applets) :).

> It's not so much the memory (thought that's an issue), it's just a
> matter of environment / desktop control.  I don't like GNOME.  There are
> a few apps which are reasonable.  I'll use them.  Loading the entire
> environment for a single goddamned little utility is a joke though.

I think restricting panel applets to running within the panel is a
reasonable move, as most would probably not make much sense running outside
of it, and probably depend on the panel in strange and mysterious ways.
I think the problem here is that goats (and other apps that have had the
same problem, assuming [probably dangerously :)] that our problem is
that these panel-loading apps are indeed panel applets) should be a
proper, full-fledged application that has panel representation if the
user requests it, rather than a top-heavy panel app.

> There's a distinction between integration and interoperability I'd
> thought we'd learned in the 1990s.

Hey, we're still making usability errors that the Mac got right almost
twenty years ago. We learn slow :).

--

Andrew Sione Taumoefolau
bepempire@optusnet.com.au