Re: Help with X (after upgrade to Woody)

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 01:21:23AM -0800, jennyw wrote:
> > Anyway, the first thing you should do is try to apt-get remove (or
> > dpkg --purge, if you're feeling vindictive and don't mind handling
>
> I just tried this; same results as before.

We need to know what these results were! :) xserver-mach64 is not
needed, so any packages that depend on it can almost certainly go when
you ditch it. How it is complaining?

> > Also: when you say "X won't load", what do you mean? Does it go straight
>
> I start X using /etc/init.d/gdm start.  The screen blinks for a bit, then it
> stops, then it blinks for a bit more, then it stops, then it does it again.
> I assume it's trying the three video modes (640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768)
> that I selected, and is finding that none of them works. By the way, my
> system apparently has no startx.

Don't use gdm until you get X working. gdm could be introducing more
hassles, and certainly more complexity than we need right now :).

And for startx:

# apt-get install xbase-clients

> Any other suggestions? I did have this working well under Potato.

Potato uses version 3 X servers; Woody and unstable support both the
version 3 X servers and the shiny and new version 4 one. We're trying to
get the shiny and new version going :).

--

Andrew Sione Taumoefolau
bepempire@optusnet.com.au