Re: Help with X (after upgrade to Woody)

From: "Andrew Sione Taumoefolau" <bepempire@optusnet.com.au>
> so there's not reason not to :). How did it complain about missing
> xserver-mach64?

I didn't write down the exact message; I just remember it saying that it was
missing. Sorry! Next time I'll do better ...

> Anyway, the first thing you should do is try to apt-get remove (or
> dpkg --purge, if you're feeling vindictive and don't mind handling

I just tried this; same results as before.

> Also: when you say "X won't load", what do you mean? Does it go straight

I start X using /etc/init.d/gdm start.  The screen blinks for a bit, then it
stops, then it blinks for a bit more, then it stops, then it does it again.
I assume it's trying the three video modes (640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768)
that I selected, and is finding that none of them works. By the way, my
system apparently has no startx.

I did read on the XFree86.org Web site that there are known problems with
the ATI driver. I have an ATI Rage Pro Turbo AGP.

Any other suggestions? I did have this working well under Potato.

Thanks!

Jen