Re: Help with X (after upgrade to Woody)

%% jennyw <jennyw@dangerousideas.com> writes:

  j> By the way, my system apparently has no startx.

It sounds to me like your system is missing some very important
packages.  There's no way you should be missing startx!  That's a
fundamental script and it's in xbase-clients, which pretty much every X
installation should have.

It should be in /usr/X11R6/bin (or /usr/bin/X11, which should be a
symlink to the former).

If it's not there, you need to do something like:

  # apt-get install xbase-clients

Personally I would disable GDM and use startx until you get your X
environment working; it's much simpler to stop/restart from the console
rather than through a display manager.

  j> I start X using /etc/init.d/gdm start.  The screen blinks for a
  j> bit, then it stops, then it blinks for a bit more, then it stops,
  j> then it does it again.  I assume it's trying the three video modes
  j> (640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768) that I selected, and is finding
  j> that none of them works.

My first suspicion is you have a font problem.  The font handling in
Woody is very different than in Potato, and in my experience it's not
entirely robust yet: I've had installs screw up my font lists for me.

The X server must find the "fixed" font or it won't start at all.

The X server will actually print lots of very helpful errors (albeit
sometimes somewhat arcane).  If you're using GDM, go look in the
/var/log directory for a file like XFree86.0.log and see what errors are
shown there.  startx will just spew them to the screen; you can redirect
them to a log like this:

  $ startx &> error.log

If you see errors in there about fonts, you should check your
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file; if you don't understand what's going on
there post it for us, at least the FontPath lines.

In any event, if you post the errors you find in your X log file someone
may be able to provide more help.

 Paul D. Smith <pausmith@nortelnetworks.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools