Re: Help with X (after upgrade to Woody)

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, jennyw wrote:
> I start X using /etc/init.d/gdm start.  The screen blinks for a bit, then it
> stops, then it blinks for a bit more, then it stops, then it does it again.

You didn't tell that it stopped eventually by itself.
How did you stop it?

> I assume it's trying the three video modes (640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768)
> that I selected, and is finding that none of them works. By the way, my
> system apparently has no startx.

You may need the modeline calculator.
BTW, you can start X 4.1.x directly by:
/usr/X11R6/bin/X vt :7 -depth <the depth you want> -xf86config <your
XF86Config file>
You can also test it first by:
/usr/X11R6/bin/X vt :7 -depth 24 -xf86config <your XF86Config file>
-probeonly
So that you can see the output whether the configuration would work or
not (it should mention the working resolutions).

Oki