Re: apache-common requires mySQL?

Colin Watson wrote:

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 11:07:09AM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:

John Hasler wrote:

Tom Allison writes:

Can someone explain why Apache-Common requires MySQL to be installed?

Ok, so it isn't the end of the world.
But, why is mysql referenced in Apache?
What is the function.

Apache now contains a module to authenticate requests against a MySQL
database (mod_auth_mysql).

This is not right.
This is definitely the wrong way to go.

I don't know of any other mod's that require their libraries to be installed as part of apache_common "just in case". Also, if you want something that does require a special case (like ssl) doesn't it come as a special deb package to begin with?

Personally, if I was going to be hitting a database for authentication, it would make a lot more sense to go with something like LDAP than MySQL.
But that's already included as a SEPERATE module libapache-auth-ldap.
This approach with mod-auth-mysql is breaking ranks with the rest of the Apache methodology that is seen in Debian.

Is there something so specially unique about mod-auth-mysql that we can't make the same approach with MySQL that we did with LDAP?