apache-common requires mySQL?

Can someone explain why Apache-Common requires MySQL to be installed?
I may not be a genious at this stuff, buy I see absolutely no reason that something as simple as apache would require a database to be installed with it.

If I do not have the resources to run a database, what then am I supposed to do?

This is really a bad direction to move in. It's fundamentally flawed in the sense that you are now binding this specific database with apache. If I am interested in using a different database (postgres) then I now have to contend with two databases being tied into the one application (front). That puts me at an increased risk of reliability in addition to the overhead of now supporting two databases, not one.