Re: apache-common requires mySQL?

Tom Allison writes:
> Can someone explain why Apache-Common requires MySQL to be installed?

It doesn't.  It depends on libmysqlclient10, a mysql client library, and
it on mysql-common, a set of mysql files.

> This is really a bad direction to move in.

I don't want this stuff either, but it isn't as bad as all that.  You are
not being required to install a database server, just a superfluous library
and a few unnecessary files.

> It's fundamentally flawed in the sense that you are now binding this
> specific database with apache.

No he isn't.  The mysql stuff won't do anything but take up space on your
disk, and not much of that.

> If I am interested in using a different database (postgres) then I now
> have to contend with two databases being tied into the one application
> (front).

No you don't.  You can just ignore the mysql stuff.

> That puts me at an increased risk of reliability in addition to the
> overhead of now supporting two databases, not one.

No it doesn't.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org