DNS/BIND questions

Sorry if this is too off-topic...

I currently have a potato(stable) machine hosting several domains for mail, www, and ftp. I currently use an outside registrar for my DNS hosting, and they have been having problems lately. I pretty much hate them.

I am researching DNS serving through BIND, and I have a few questions.
Here they go:

- Bind8 or Bind9(testing only i think)?

- I currently have ONE static IP. If I choose this to be the name server for all my domains, do I NEED/have-to-have a backup?

- Does a backup namesever have to have a static IP? I can use a second server running potato as well, but it is connected via DSL using PPPoE. The IP changes from time to time, but it uses a dynamic domain name. Can I use this as a backup?

- If not, are there free backup name server services?

Like I said, I apologize if this is TOO off topic, but I find that most people on this list have a better grasp on such things than anywhere else I have looked.

Thanks in advance!