Re: DNS/BIND questions

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 08:45:58PM -0500, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
> - I currently have ONE static IP. If I choose this to be the name server
> for all my domains, do I NEED/have-to-have a backup?

Yes.  Most (all?) registrars require you to submit at least one
secondary name server.

> - Does a backup namesever have to have a static IP? I can use a second
> server running potato as well, but it is connected via DSL using PPPoE. The
> IP changes from time to time, but it uses a dynamic domain name. Can I use
> this as a backup?

That may be possible, but it would not be a good idea.

> - If not, are there free backup name server services?

Yes.  Your ISP probably offers free secondary name service.  There
are free secondary-only services available (I go with secondary.com,
which offers up to 5 domains or 50 records for free).  Or you can do
it the old-fashioned way and offer to trade secondary name service
with someone else.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Mr. Slippery