RE: DNS/BIND questions

>> - Bind8 or Bind9(testing only i think)?

I run potato stable (8).  Couldn't tell you the difference.

>> - I currently have ONE static IP. If I choose this
>> to be the name server
for all my domains, do I NEED/have-to-have a backup?

How critical are the servers people would be trying to get to?

>> - Does a backup namesever have to have a static IP?

I don't know.

- If not, are there free backup name server services?

Just an idea.  I use www.easydns.com for domain hosting.  I also run a
private DNS server to resolve my private IPs from within my own LAN.
easydns is $19.95 per year.  For me it's a bargain.  Other people have
mentioned other services.  Easy DNS is web configurable, offers backup mail
storage if you take your mailserver offline and has 3 backup servers for my
domain.