Re: How to use the driver-1.bin image?

On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 12:48:52AM +0000, Yuwen Dai wrote:
> >> I want to use the files in
> >> /dist/stable/mail/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/compact on the Debian
> >> official CD-Rom.  There're three files in this directory:
> >>
> >> driver-1.bin
> >> rescue.bin
> >> root.bin
> >>
> >> I know that rescue.bin is a fat12 image, and root.bin is a gziped ram
> >disk.
> >> I successfuly copied these images to floppies by using `dd'.  But what
> >the
> >> format of driver-1.bin?  I used `file' to determin its type.  But `file'
> >> only said it's data.  I also copied it to a floppy using `dd' but had no
> >> idea how to use it.  Any advice?  Please `CC' to my own e-mail address.
> >> Thank you very much.
> >>
> >You have to dd all the files to a floppy disk. Then boot up your computer
> >using the rescue disk and insert the rootdisk when prompted. When the
> >installation program has been launched, you will be asked for the
>
> I don't realy want to install system on the hard disk.  I just want to use
> these three diskettes doing some diagnostics, i.e, network or something
> else.  Could I do this?

Yes. I think but not sure about how to load drivers to rescue disk on
Potato.  Never done.

(At least woody boot disk has initrd image so it should, I think..)

Easier thing is: Use IDEPCI rescure/root disk.

Then you have some network cards activated.  If yours was not supported,
pull config out from that disk and compile your own with your needed
drives.  Copy bzimage as explained in the rescue disk should make your
custom rescue disk  :-)

Cheers :-)
--
+  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +