Re: Web banner blocker

wrote:
> > On Monday 10 September 2001 02:53 am, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > > on Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 02:44:05AM -0400, Jason Boxman
> > > (jasonb@edseek.com)
> >
> > wrote:
> > > You're aware that JB does regexp blocking?  A few well-placed
> > > expressions, largely variations on /ad/, /Ad/, and /advert/, you can
> > > do a lot of damage.  I've a list of 50 patterns which keeps banners
> > > to a minimum.  Deselecting Java/Javascript, and de-animating GIFs,
> > > helps a lot too.
> >
> > Yeah, but regexp was never really my thing.  I'd spend five minutes
> > playing with a rule and reloading the page until the ad died.  Some
> > places I go require JavaScript to be on.  Never found much use for
> > Java though.
>
> A sample ruleset.  I see fairly few banners.

That's a nice list, but I'm sure ads still get through.  With WebWasher's
dimension filtering, I never see ads, *ever*.  That's pretty tough to beat.
When a new ad size is commissioned, I just add it to thte list and move on.

Plus, the cookie handling is nice for sites I don't visit often, but need to
login to.  With Junkbuster I'd have to bust out my cookie file, disable the
proxy, let the site cookie me, then add an entry and set it up as a read only
cookie.  What a pain.

<snip>