"Webwasher" alternatives (was Re: Web banner blocker)

on Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 05:11:27PM -0400, Jason Boxman (jasonb@edseek.com) wrote:
> On Monday 10 September 2001 03:39 pm, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 04:03:19AM -0400, Jason Boxman (jasonb@edseek.com)
> wrote:

> > > Yeah, but regexp was never really my thing.  I'd spend five minutes
> > > playing with a rule and reloading the page until the ad died.  Some
> > > places I go require JavaScript to be on.  Never found much use for
> > > Java though.
> >
> > A sample ruleset.  I see fairly few banners.
>
> That's a nice list, but I'm sure ads still get through.

Some, but relatively few.  My own policy is:

  - I don't like animated ads: handled with animation settings in Galeon.
  - I don't like Java/Javascript ads:  disable both.
  - I don't like ad demographics aggregatorss:  handled with both DNS
    and junkbuster.

There are a number of other sites which have generally annoying ads, I
filter these as well.

I'm left with a small number of ads largely from smaller organizations.
Some of which may actually be interesting.

My PoV isn't that all advertising is evil (though the vast majority is),
but that *evil* advertising is evil.  Push me hard enough, and I'll push
back.

> With WebWasher's dimension filtering, I never see ads, *ever*.  That's
> pretty tough to beat.  When a new ad size is commissioned, I just add
> it to the list and move on.
>
> Plus, the cookie handling is nice for sites I don't visit often, but
> need to login to.  With Junkbuster I'd have to bust out my cookie
> file, disable the proxy, let the site cookie me, then add an entry and
> set it up as a read only cookie.  What a pain.

Agreed.  I've been getting pushed harder to find something that will
strip out crap HTML.  Specifically:

  - Embedded Flash.  Standalone Flash presentations may, in the very odd
    instance, be good.  I've noticed The New York Times has started
    featuring Flash banner ads.

  - Any <font size=##> tagsets.

  - Ads and banners, particularly the panel ads becoming more
    prevalent.  These distort page layouts to an extreme -- Salon and
    Wired are among the worse offenders.

  - Pixel-specified table and frameset widths.  These should generally
    be specified as % of page, or simply allowed to fill available area.

...and odd things elsewhere.

What other webwasher type proxies are there out there?  I have a strong
preference for free software.