Re: Web banner blocker

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 02:09:14 EDT, Jason Boxman writes:
>On Sunday 09 September 2001 02:40 pm, Ross Burton wrote:
>> I'm looking for a good web cache/banner remove program for Debian
>> unstable.  Previously I've used Squid + Sleezeball, but Sleezeball
>> hasn't been updated since November 1999.  :-(
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a good banner blocker?  I don't want entire pages
>> blocked so SquidGuard is an overkill, but the banner adverts removed.
>
>I've been using WebWasher for Linux.  Yeah, it's only free as in beer, but it
>does filtering in a fashion that works for me.  It'll auto expire cookies you
>don't want after a specified period of time, filter web bugs, kill annoying
>JavaScript, like onLoad and onUnLoad (and popups), and filters ads based on
>image dimension.  Yeah, sometimes you get false positives, but I find it
>pretty rare that such a thing happens.

I use junkbuster, not quit as extensive as webwasher, but Free as in
 speech. I just set up junkbuster to listen on :8080 and forward
 everything to squid on :8088.

http://www.junkbuster.com/

cheers,
&rw
--
-- Q: What is the difference between a used car salesman and a
--    {router, switch, colo, technology} salesman?