apache-perl vs. libapache-mod-ssl

	i have mod_perl working like a dream -- and i'd like to add
	mod_ssl, so:

# apt-get -d install libapache-mod-ssl
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  apache
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  apache-perl libapache-asp-perl libapache-dbi-perl libapache-dbilogger-perl libapache-filter-perl libapache-ssi-perl
  apache libapache-mod-ssl
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 6 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 558kB of archives. After unpacking 2641kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

	someone is of someone's rocker. (perhaps it's me.)

	i've got apache-perl working nicely. i don't think it's
	essential to bork my current setup just to add a feature...

# apt-cache show apache-perl
[snip]
 This version of Apache contains the mod_perl module statically linked.
 .
 The most popular server in the world, Apache features a modular
 design and supports dynamic selection of extension modules at runtime.
 Some of its strong points are its range of possible customization,
 dynamic adjustment of the number of server processes, and a whole
 range of available modules including many authentication mechanisms,
 server-parsed HTML, server-side includes, access control, CERN httpd
 metafiles emulation, proxy caching, etc.  Apache also supports multiple
 virtual homing.
 .
 Separate Debian packages are available for PHP3, Java Servlet support,
 Apache-SSL, and other common extensions.  More information is available
 at http://www.apache.org/.

	"separate packages are available for ...ssl..." is there a
	non-conflicting one that'll work with my potatio
	apache-perl?

# apt-cache search ssl|grep apache
apache-ssl - Versatile, high-performance HTTP server with SSL support
apache-common - Support files for all Apache webservers
libapache-mod-ssl - Strong cryptography for Apache
apache - Versatile, high-performance HTTP server
apache-perl - Versatile, high-performance HTTP server with added Perl support
libapache-mod-ssl-doc - Documentation for Apache module mod_ssl

	apache-ssl is apache with ssl statically linked;
	apache-perl is apache with mod_perl statically linked

	is there an undeniable reason why libapache-mod-ssl can't
	work with apache-perl? do i have to install apache, then
	mod-perl, then mod-ssl? (any guesses how many weeks it'll
	take a newbie like me to resurrect my configuration with a
	different apache setup? don't make me go there -- i'm
	afraid of the dark!)

	can't we all just get along? ;(

--

	i notice there are several 'ssl' packages:

# dpkg -l \*ssl\*
||/ Name                   Version         Description
+++-======================-===============-======================================================
un  libapache-mod-ssl      <none>          (no description available)
ii  libapache-mod-ssl-doc  2.4.10-1.3.9-1  Documentation for Apache module mod_ssl
un  libssl                 <none>          (no description available)
ii  libssl09               0.9.4-5         SSL shared libraries
ii  openssl                0.9.4-5         Secure Socket Layer and related cryptographic libraries/tools.
ii  ssleay                 0.9.4-5         Convenience package to replace ssleay with openssl
un  w3m-ssl                <none>          (no description available)
un  webmin-ssl             <none>          (no description available)

	can openssl or libssl do the trick? (can a newbie walk
	through the paces needed to make them work for getting
	https:// served up by apache-perl?)

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #29 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
: