Re: mail server

On Monday 10 September 2001 10:32 am, Christian Schoenebeck wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> I want to configurate a linux box as the central mail server in our local
> and private network.
> It's got a dialup connection and is therefore not always connected to the
> internet. It should
> be able to fetch emails of all users from several ISPs and of course to
> send outgoing mails
> when a connection is established.

Fun fun.

> Can someone roughly tell me how to do it?
>
> Do I have to configurate exim just for local mail, then fetcbmail to fetch
> all emails on dialup?
> What program do I need to send outgoing mails on dialup? Or can I use the
> MTA (exim)
> for this? Questions over questions. :)

The fetchmail thing sounds correct.  I've never done it for more than one
user, but each user can have his own account and own fetchmailrc to handle
getting mail, or you could probably configure the gobal one to get all the
mail.

For outgoing mail, you'll want to send directly to your ISP's SMTP server.  A
few years ago I had successfully used a hack with Qmail that would allow me
to send mail to the local mail server, have it spooled, and then it would be
sent when the link went up.  You'll want to relay any outgoing mail through
your ISP's mail server, though, so it isn't blacklisted as spam.