Re: kernel 2.4.x and unstable/ Kernels

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 12:46:36AM -0400, Brian Nelson wrote:
| Craig Dickson <crdic@yahoo.com> writes:
| > Brian Nelson wrote:
[...]
| > I have not found any reason to prefer make-kpkg over "make bzImage" and
| > manually installing the kernel image.

Just to be different :

| 1. You won't forget to run /sbin/lilo

I use grub instead and don't need to reinstall it on the MBR every
time :-).

| 2. No need to worry about changing /vmlinuz link

After the package says "Hmm, there's no /vmlinuz link.  Maybe you don't
want it.  Let's find out ..." I type 'rm /vmlinuz' :-).  I've been
trying out some various combinations of options with the kernels so
I've been specifying the kernel image directly in grub's config,
rather than using a symlink (and hoping it points to the one I
think/want it to point to).

Just my preferences, though I like the 1-command process that
make-kpkg gives so I don't need to keep a reference handy to get the
'make clean' 'make dep' 'make install' and all the other steps right.

(BTW, I did build my own kernels directly when I started out with
 RH5.2.  I didn't know how to configure modules then :-).

-D