Re: kernel 2.4.x and unstable/ Kernels

Craig Dickson <crdic@yahoo.com> writes:

> Brian Nelson wrote:
>
> > Why not just download the kernel-source package?  Similar to the
> > vanilla ones, but usually with a few patches applied.
>
> That's exactly why not. I'd rather have a vanilla Linus kernel source
> tree to which I can apply patches without worrying about whether they'll
> conflict with whatever patches the Debian maintainers decided to apply.

Yeah, those mysterious Debian developers do strange things to the
source.  Whatever could it be?

$ zless /usr/share/doc/kernel-source-2.4.9/changelog.Debian.gz

kernel-source-2.4.9 (2.4.9-1) unstable; urgency=low

  * New upstream release (closes: #63393).
  * Fixed highmem CramFS bug (closes: #108893).
  * Added missing include in fs/ntfs/unistr.c.
  * Reverted startup==1 patch from drivers/net/tulip/21142.c.
  * Fixed obsolete use of min: drivers/net/rrunner.c.
  * Exported snprintf/vsnprintf (ac patches).

 -- Herbert Xu <herbert@debian.org>  Sat, 18 Aug 2001 21:23:07 +1000

Hmm, seems to be just a couple fixes to me.  I wouldn't complain...

> > The package
> > installs the bzip2'ed source in /usr/src.  Just tar -jxf it, configure
> > with 'make menuconfig' or whatever, and then build a custom
> > kernel-image package with 'make-kpkg kernel_image'.
>
> I have not found any reason to prefer make-kpkg over "make bzImage" and
> manually installing the kernel image.

1. You won't forget to run /sbin/lilo
2. No need to worry about changing /vmlinuz link
3. ...

For a bunch more:
zless /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/Rationale.gz

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>