Re: kernel 2.4.x and unstable/ Kernels

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 01:29:36AM -0400, Jason Boxman wrote:
| On Sunday 09 September 2001 01:07 am, Nathan E Norman wrote:
| > On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 09:42:34PM -0700, Craig Dickson wrote:
| > > Nathan E Norman wrote:
| <snip>
| >
| > I maintain (more or less) four boxes ... a celeron (my home machine),
| > an athlon (my work desktop), a 486 (my firewall), and a p90 (a server
| > with no portfolio).  I compile all the kernels on the athlon because,
| > well, it's just too painful to sit around waiting for the other
| > machines to finish the job.  The p90 and especially the 486 are
| > practically useless while compiling a kernel.  Since the athlon has
| > the biggest (and fastest) disks, I need kernel-source trees on one
| > machine rather than spread all over the place (let's see, I downloaded
| > the ipsec patch where?  Did I patch this tree, or was that the other
| > box?)  This is a significant advantage.
|
| I have a 486 firewall myself.  My connectivity on other machines more or less
| stops when I do things like run dpkg or the gShield firewall script
| (iptables) loads on it.  Is this normal, or is it just my particular 486 33?

I have a 486SX 25MHz with 8MB RAM (and ~32MB swap).  When all I had
was a dial-up connection it would take longer for dpkg to unpack the
kernel than for the dialup link to download it.  The reason is the
system swaps a LOT because it needs quite a bit more memory than it
has.  I don't know what the gShield script does, but if it uses memory
or disk a lot it is bound to be slow, or if it does a lot of
computation.

-D