Re: kernel 2.4.x and unstable/ Kernels

John Toon <john.toon@btinternet.com> writes:

> On Saturday 08 September 2001 10:05 am, Ross Burton wrote:
>
> Personally I would always recommend downloading yourself a vanilla 2.4.x
> kernel tarball from http://www.kernel.org. With kernels, this is one of the
> few areas where I think it is better to use the source tarballs rather than a
> debian package.

Why not just download the kernel-source package?  Similar to the
vanilla ones, but usually with a few patches applied.  The package
installs the bzip2'ed source in /usr/src.  Just tar -jxf it, configure
with 'make menuconfig' or whatever, and then build a custom
kernel-image package with 'make-kpkg kernel_image'.

I find it's much easier to manage and install kernel-images using
the packaging system.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>