A NEWBIE inquiry......

Hey folks, this is the LURKER again with an inquiry on installs on the same drive. I purchased a copy of "Mandrakesoft?'s Linux® Mandrake©" v7.0/w 3 CD's (installation disc #1, source disc #2 and extra #3) about a year ago. To make a long story longer, NOT really, there were some major problems I had to deal with here and had to put it to one side. Well about 2 weeks ago I saw a copy of "SAMS Installing Debian GNU/Linux®" with one CD v2.1. Could NOT pass this up so I purchased it to learn as much as possible about these two systems.

I am running Windows SE 98+! V4.10.2222a on a PCChips PC100 MBD/w AMD K6 II 3D 400meg, 163.48meg RAM, USR 56k INT MDM plus a PCTEL WinModem (that is NOT being used at this time), two 8.4 gig IDE H/D's. One is setup to run WinBlows 98 the other I have set to 7 partitions, three for Debian v2.1 and three for Mandrake v7.0, there are 6 of them the other is just FREE SPACE. Hope to be able to access that from which ever one needs added space.

Now my question is what would I have to do to set these up so I can access one from the other? I can now access the WinBlows from Mandrake, have NOT set things so I can do that from Deb just yet. The other is how can I get both of them to acknowledge my USR MDM, neither one will recognize it and MD never has even from my first install? I know there are HOWTO's and many other MAN pages and various other thingys, I spend most of a day just attempting to keep up with these messages. THE END. This has gone on far enough, I am going to give you the chance to do what most people DREAM of being able to do, TELL ME WHERE TO GO to reach my END.

ONE more for the ROAD, please.....where is a GOOD place for a NEWBIE that is NOT a programmer nor very familiar with UNIX or Linux to learn how to get started. I Know READ, READ, READ, etcetera, at 61 I do NOT have that much time left to do all of that.

TIA,

don Hodges
odak@stic.net
San Antonio, Texas