Re: A NEWBIE inquiry......

1) You'll probably get more responses if you'll use a descriptive subject line and separate your various questions into separate posts.

Usually.

In this case, it probably makes more sense to do it the way you have done it.

d wrote:

<snip re: Mandrake 7.0 & Debian GNU/Linux v2.1 & Windows SE 98 on the same box>

USR 56k INT MDM plus a PCTEL WinModem (that is NOT being used at this time), two 8.4 gig IDE H/D's. One is setup to run WinBlows 98 the other I have set to 7 partitions, three for Debian v2.1 and three for Mandrake v7.0, there are 6 of them the other is just FREE SPACE. Hope to be able to access that from which ever one needs added space.

Now my question is what would I have to do to set these up so I can access one from the other? I can now access the WinBlows from Mandrake, have NOT set things so I can do that from Deb just yet.

As root, "mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/Win98" (see "man mount" for more info). This assumes Win98 is on the first partition of the first IDE drive (hda1), and that you have a directory named /mnt/Win98. Since Mandrake is already configured to see the Windows partition, you can boot into Mandrake and have a look-see in "/etc/fstab"; this will have a line something like:

/dev/hda1       /Win98          vfat    defaults                0       0

So in this case, once in Debian, you'd type "mount /dev/hda1 /Win98" (you might need to specify the filesystem type, which in the above case is VFAT (FAT16/32)), so the command'd be "mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /Win98".

You can automate this by duplicating the line in "/etc/fstab" on the Debian side. Then on the next reboot into Debian the Windows partition will automatically be mounted on the /Win98 directory (make sure you create this directory first if it doesn't exist). Or, without a reboot, you can manually type the mount command, or since it's now in "/etc/fstab", you can shorten the command to "mount /Win98", and the mount command will figure out the rest from the definition in fstab. The command "mount" by itself will show you what's mounted, and "mount -a" will attempt to mount everything defined in fstab.

If you want to share files between Mandrake and Debian, pick a partition to share (such as /dev/hda5), and make sure each distro mounts that partition. For example, if /dev/hda3 is your /home directory in Mandrake, and /dev/hda5 is your /home in Debian, you can use just one, say /dev/hda3, as your /home in both distros. Just change "/etc/fstab" on the Debian side to mount /home on 3 instead of on 5. (CAVEAT: I vaguely remember that there may be some sort of issue with this type of sharing, but I can't recall what it might be; other list members can perhaps confirm or deny this vague recollection.)

The other is how can I get both of them to acknowledge my USR MDM, neither one will recognize it and MD never has even from my first install?

Of course the first question is "Is it a win-modem?" (Most internal PCI modems are.) If it is, you might find it easier (and perhaps the only route) to replace it with a non-win-modem. Externals are almost always okay (what about external USB modems? anyone know if they are "real" for sure?).

If it's not a win-modem, you can use the program "minicom" to do some testing (try different serial ports, try ATZ and other commands for an OK response, try dialing out); you can't do ppp stuff with it (like using a web browser), but it can give you some valuable info.

Also, if it's working in Windows, look at the properties there to see what serial port, IRQ, etc, that it's using, That can be good info.

I know there are HOWTO's and many other MAN pages and various other thingys, I spend most of a day just attempting to keep up with these messages. THE END. This has gone on far enough, I am going to give you the chance to do what most people DREAM of being able to do, TELL ME WHERE TO GO to reach my END.

ONE more for the ROAD, please.....where is a GOOD place for a NEWBIE that is NOT a programmer nor very familiar with UNIX or Linux to learn how to get started. I Know READ, READ, READ, etcetera, at 61 I do NOT have that much time left to do all of that.

Your absolute best route? Repeated installs of various distros on differing types of hardware. Start with Debian, because this Debian-related list is the best tech support you'll find anywhere short of having a guru as a friend, but once you start in on the other distros, we'll tend to refer you to the other distros' tech support channels.

When I started with Linux, I figured it'd take me about a year to get comfortable (of course that estimate was based on having a full-time job and life apart from learning/experimenting with Linux). In reality it took me two years before I felt comfortable, and three before I felt like I pretty much knew what I was doing. I'm not a programmer/developer; just a user/tinkerer. Nonetheless, I read lots and lots. Since you don't have much time to read, your best bet is to find a guru friend; you might look for a local Linux Users Group (LUG). There's nothing like having a friend who can get you past your current hurdle.

TIA,

don Hodges
odak@stic.net
San Antonio, Texas